I’ve been a runner for 16 years. During that time, I’ve tried countless numbers of energy drinks, gels, sprays, goos, beans, mixes, cubes, bars. Manufacturers claim that these products boost performance, but I’ve been disappointed by almost all of them. Here’s why:
- They tend to contain too much sugar and other “junk” ingredients. Look at the label on a sports drink bottle and count the number of times the words “fructose” or “sucrose” appear.
- They taste disgusting. This is tied to the last point. All that sugar provides a quick boost of energy but it comes with a nasty, sticky taste.
- They make me nauseous. I can name at least two races where trying to run with some nasty, sugar laden gel sloshing around in my stomach slowed me down and actually cost me a PR instead of helping me get one.
So I was a little suspicious when a company called Run Gum contacted me and asked if I’d be interested in interviewing their CEO. I may have ignored the email, except that their CEO is Nick Symmonds. You don’t get to interview a two time Olympic Athlete every day. I was pretty impressed with what Nick had to say.
Here are a few things you might like to know about Run Gum:
- Run Gum is literally what it sounds like: a performance boosting gum for runners. Gum has an advantage over products you eat or drink because it provides benefits without causing digestive issues.
- People absorb stimulants faster sublingually (under the tongue) than through the digestive system. So runners can experience the benefits of Run Gum faster than almost any other product on the market.
- Run Gum contains no sugar or calories. It contains only Caffeine, Taurine and B Vitamins.
A pack of Run Gum contains two pieces which each have about 50mg of caffeine. A cup of coffee has about 95mg of caffiene so a pack is slightly higher. If you chew both pieces for about 5 minutes before a run, you’ll get the same energy boost without having to worry about junk sloshing around in your stomach while you’re running. Run Gum comes in three different flavors: cinnamon, mint and fruit.
Run Gum is manufactured completely in the United States. Nick founded his company two years ago and it’s been growing exponentially ever since. The fact that Nick originally designed Run Gum for himself says a lot. This product is literally made for runners by runners.
Interested in trying Run Gum? You can find it online at getrungum.com. You’ll also be able to find it in stores soon. If you like it, you can join the Run Gum Club and get your own personalized amounts and flavors delivered to your doorstep automatically each month. Enjoy!